The best works
international competition Architectural Award 2008
The project was implemented with the support of Tbilisi City Hall and Sakrebulo
Construction Company PLANETA
VIP Design and Building Group
Information support provided by:
Magazines “Pirveli”, “Shtabechdileba”, “Anabechdi”, “Sakhelebi”,
Newspaper “24 Hours”, Radio “Fortuna”
To support the architects, promote their activity and raise the popularity of construction and architecture in Georgia, STYLE Magazine founded an architectural competition, aiming at identification of the best architectural works and most efficient interior designs. The first edition of this competition titled Architectural Award was organized in 2006. The project attracted considerable interest on the part of professional architects, construction and architectural companies and the general public. In the subsequent years, the range of competition participants increased to expand the project on an international scale.
In 2007, STYLE Magazine and Caparol Georgia arranged Architectural Award 2007.
In the light of the current political and economic situation, we believe that the project is more important than ever, especially considering that the interest of Georgian and foreign professionals toward its progress continues to grow.
In 2008, STYLE Magazine organized still another edition of Architectural Award. Following the end of the previous year’s competition and until October 17 2008 we had been receiving competition entries.
- Architectural Award 2008 covered public and residential space, construction and interior design;
- The international competition was open for professionals working in the spheres of architecture and design;
- Those wishing to participate in the competition could submit the entries featuring realized constructions and designs as well as unimplemented projects and ideas.
- The international competition aimed at promotion of the best projects and identification of architects and designers contributing to development of architecture.
- Authors of nomination-winning projects were awarded “Architectural Award 2008”.
- Nominations of the competition were identified by the jury (professional and public panels of judges) and competition organizers.
Architectural Award 2008 covered the following nominations:
- Single-family house;
- Public construction;
- Block of apartments / residential complex;
- Residential interior;
- Public interior;
- Reconstruction / restoration;
- Architectural projects;
- Students’ projects;
- Out-of-competition program.
Competition winners received the following awards:
- Competition symbol – miniature sculpture, designed by competition supporter Zarapkhana Ltd.;
- Laureate diploma;
- Alternative jury prize;
- Prizes established by project supporters or sponsors.
The international competition was managed by the organizing committee consisting of competition founders and organizers and working on the basis of preliminarily defined conditions.
This year, the organizing committee included both project organizers and laureates of Architectural Award 2006 and 2007.
Competition entries were submitted by Georgian as well as foreign architects and designers. A total of 131 participants were registered in Architectural Award 2008. The number of competition entries reached 163.
Architectural Award 2008 was awarded to architects and designers for the best projects in the spheres of urban planning, architecture and interior design.
On October 17-21 2008, the professional jury and the public jury evaluated competition entries and selected nomination winners.
Composition of the jury was approved by one of the organizers of Architectural Award 2008 – STYLE Magazine organizing committee.
Professional Jury of the competition included Dimitri Mosulishvili, Nino Laghidze, Nika Kilasonia, Giorgi Kobulia, Vato Lejava, Nika Chkhaidze, Giorgi Mosulishvili, Nika Abashidze, Kakha Abuladze, Gaga Kiknadze, Levan Mushkudiani, Zura Nikolaishvili, David Nikolaishvili, Marika Kurtishvili, Nia Mgaloblishvili, Gogi Kvitsinashvili, Gocha Khoperia, Gogi Sulaberidze, Manuchar Makhatadze, Valeri Bakhtadze, Khatuna Pirtskhalava, Gocha Mikiashvili, Dieter Pfvannensteil, Tomas Scarpa, Aneta Revyakina, Elchin Aliyev, Ragim Seifullaev, Kakha Dekanoidze, Gia Abuladze, Maka Shavishvili, Nodar Amashukeli, David Abuladze, Givi Metreveli, Archil Kurdiani, Else Ketunen, Zura Nemsadze and David Bairamashvili.
The Public Jury consisted of Eka Japaridze, Shota Glurjidze, Giorgi Kalandia, Eka Javakhishvili, Zaza Nishnianidze, David Lordkipanidze, Gigi Ugulava, Zaal Samadashvili, Mamuka Akhvlediani, Mikheil Avaliani, Giorgi Pataridze, Muraz Murvanidze, David Tskhadadze, Nino Arazashvili and Nikoloz Vacheishvili.
Based on evaluation of competition entries, the jury of Architectural Award 2008 identified the best projects realized during the recent years (the entries were publicly accessible via the dedicated website). In each nomination, the judges anonymously singled out two, three or four best projects from among which the laureates were selected. Only after the selection process was finished, authors of competition entries became known.
Activities of the jury helped measure the level of modern architectural development and single out new trends.
Competition award ceremony took place in Georgian National Museum Karvasla at 17:00 on October 26 2008.
Before the launch of award ceremony itself, the attending public –Tbilisi City Hall and Sakrebulo officials, competition participants, jury members, representatives of construction and architectural companies and journalists – had an opportunity to take a look at the exposition of best competition works of Georgian and foreign architects.
Award-passing ceremony, animated by actor Michael Gomiashvili, started at about 6 p.m. with the opening speech of Nino Laghidze, editor-in-chief of STYLE Magazine.
Prior to announcing the winners, the ceremony master invited to the stage:
- Mr. Givi Shavdia – State Prize laureate, corresponding member of the International Academy of Architecture, Honored Architect of Georgia, professor, space-planning and architectural director of Tbilisi Urban Planning Department;
- Mr. Revaz Bairamashvili-Tarkhnishvili - Honored Architect of Georgia, State Prize laureate, associate professor;
- Ms. Ketevan Kobakhidze – Honored teacher of the architectural faculty of the Tbilisi State Academy of Art, professor, architect;
- Mr. Hamlet Mosulishvili – Doctor of Architecture, professor, vice-president of the International Academy of Oriental Architecture, honored teacher of the Architectural Institute of Tbilisi Technical University.
Based on the decision of Tbilisi City Hall, these persons were awarded prizes for special contribution to Georgian architecture. The prizes were passed to them by Mr. Gigi Ugulava, Mayor of Tbilisi.
Following this, nomination winners and laureates of Architectural Award 2008 were announced.
Awards – prizes and diplomas – were passed to the winners by Gigi Ugulava (Mayor of Tbilisi), Zaal Samadashvili (chairman of Tbilisi Sakrebulo), Irakli Kvaratskhelia (architect of competition co-organizer construction company Planeta), architects Gogi Sulaberidze, Gaga Kiknadze, Amiran Patarkalishvili (winners of the previous rounds of Architectural Award), Gocha Mikiashvili (dean of the Architectural Institute of Tbilisi Georgian University), Nodar Amashukeli (dean of Tbilisi State Academy of Art), Dimitri Mosulishvili (publisher of competition organizer STYLE Magazine), Nino Arazashvili (member of the public jury of Architectural Award 2008).
Special gifts were passed to the nomination winners by VIP Design and Building Company and Flowers.ge.
At the conclusion of award-passing ceremony, Dimitri Mosulishvili, publisher of STYLE Magazine, thanked competition organizers and supporters as well as the competition participants and jury members for their contribution to the event. In his speech, Dimitri Mosulishvili touched upon the importance of Architectural Award for Georgia, summarized the results of Y2008 competition and announced launching of Architectural Award 2009.
Competition-winning projects and an account of award-passing ceremony are published at the competition website www.archi-competition.com.ge
Photos provided by: Photolife Group
The competition goes on. STYLE Magazine invites architects and designers to take part in Architectural Award 2009.