Association of Architects of Georgia, Architectural Club and STYLE Magazine
with the support of Tbilisi City Hall organize
3nd International Architectural Festival of Tbilisi
The event take place on September 29-30 2014
Project General Sponsor:
NEW LIGHT Company
Up Design company
Tbilisi State Academy of Art
Faculty of Media art, Tbilisi State Academy of Arts
Kakhetian Traditional Winemaking
Herbovital 2 Company
Photo by: Gia Javelidze
Information support provided by:
Radio "Fortuna", Archh.com
Musical arrangements: Jazz Band with Otar Maghradze
Simultaneous translation: Marina Useinashvili
Registration of exhibition and competition participants and submission of competition entries started on May 15 2014
3nd International Architectural Festival of Tbilisi is a project, aiming at promotion of best architectural projects and identification of architects and designers making special contribution to development of architecture.
The following events be organized under the umbrella of the 2nd International Architectural Festival:
September 29 2014
Opened of International Architecture and Design Exhibition. The exhibition is organized with participation of Georgian and foreign architects and designers as students of architectural schools
September 30 2014
Award ceremony of architectural and design projects winning the 9th International Competition "Architectural Award 2014
- Architectural Award 2014 covered public and residential space, construction and interior design;
- The international competition was open for professionals working in the spheres of architecture and design;
- Those wishing to participate in the competition could submit the entries featuring realized constructions and designs as well as unimplemented projects and ideas.
- The international competition aimed at promotion of the best projects and identification of architects and designers contributing to development of architecture.
- Authors of nomination-winning projects were awarded "Architectural Award 2014".
- Nominations of the competition were identified by the jury (professional) and competition organizers.
Architectural Award 2014 covered the following nominations:
- Single-family house (realized projects)
- Apartment block or residential complex (realized projects)
- Residential interior (realized projects)
- Public construction (realized projects)
- Public interior (realized projects)
- Restoration / reconstruction (realized projects)
- Landscape architecture (realized projects)
- Student projects
- Architectural projects
- Interior design (non-realized)
- Religious constructions (out-of-competition)
Competition winners received the following awards:
- Competition symbol – miniature sculpture
- Laureate diploma;
- Alternative jury prize;
- Prizes established by project supporters or sponsors.
The international competition was managed by the organizing committee consisting of competition founders and organizers and working on the basis of preliminarily defined conditions.
This year, the organizing committee included both project organizers and laureates of Architectural Awards.
Competition entries were submitted by Georgian as well as foreign architects and designers. A total of 135 participants were registered in Architectural Award 2013. The number of competition entries reached 170.
Architectural Award 2014 was awarded to architects and designers for the best projects in the spheres of urban planning, architecture and interior design.
Composition of the jury was approved by one of the organizers of Architectural Award 2014 – Association of Architects of Georgia - organizing committee.
Professional Jury of the competition included: Vakhtang Davitaia,Dimitri Mosulishvili, Nino Laghidze , Caca Kiknadze, Gocha Mikiashvili, Nana Iashvili, Nika Kilasonia, Giorgi Mosulishvili , Zurab Nemsadze, Vasil
Kobulia, Gogi Sulaberidze, Gia Chanchaleishvili, Vladimer Khmaladze,
Shakri Kurdiani , Nino Ghoghoberidze, Otar Nemsadze, Manana Khvedeliani, Nikoloz Abashidze, Kote Iashvili, Boris Paichadze, Elbay Gasim-zada, Elchin Aliyev, Rasim Babakishiyev, Victoriya Yakusha,
Sasha Lukich, Ilgar Beylarov, Vladimir Yeksarev, Nadiya Yeksareva,
Jahangir Akhundov, Kamal Musakhanov, Andrea Vigano, Manish Dikshit
Based on evaluation of competition entries, the jury of Architectural Award 2014 identified the best projects realized during the recent years (the entries were publicly accessible via the dedicated website). In each nomination, the judges anonymously singled out three or four best projects from among which the laureates were selected. Only after the selection process was finished, authors of competition entries became known.
Activities of the jury helped measure the level of modern architectural development and single out new trends.
Competition award ceremony took place in Radisson Blu Iveria Hotel at 18:00 on September 24 2014.
Before the launch of award ceremony itself, the attending public – competition participants, jury members, representatives of construction and architectural companies and journalists – had an opportunity to take a look at the exposition of best competition works of Georgian and foreign architects.
Award-passing ceremony, animated by actor Nino Arazashvili, started at about 6 p.m. with the opening speech of Nino Laghidze, Founder of Association of Architects of Georgia, Organizer of Festival, editor-in-chief of STYLE Magazine.
Nino was invited to the stage during the awards:
- Mr. Giorgi Shaishmelashvili – professor of Institute of Architecture, Urban Planning and Design of Georgian Technical University
- Mr. Tariel Kutateladze - State Prize laureate, corresponding member of the International Academy of Architecture, Honored Architect of Georgia, professor of Tbilisi State Academy
- Mr. Elbay Gasim-zada – Professor of Institute of Architecture of Azerbaijan, State Prize laureate, corresponding member of the International Academy of Architecture
Based on the decision of Association of Architects of Georgia, these persons were awarded prizes for special contribution to Georgian architecture. The prizes were passed to them by Mr. Giorgi AlibegaSvili, Tbilisi Assembly Chairman.
Following this, nomination winners and laureates of Architectural Award 2014 were announced.
Special gifts were passed to the nomination winners by:
- Tbilisi City Hall
- Caparol Company
- NEW LIGHT Company
- Up design company
- Dio company
- Herbovital 2 Company
- Fiori Company
- Faculty of Media art, Tbilisi State Academy of Arts
- Azerbaijan Union of Architects
For the fourth time already, Gen.Sponsor of Architectural Award 2014 - New Light company (The company's project Manager - Shota Gabinashvili) invited a special prizes to the 2winners of the Nomination - The Best illuminated object.
Ms. Teona Tavadze, Pr. Manager of "Up design", of Architectural Award 2014 sponsor invited a special prizes to the 2 winners of the Nomination – Residential interior (realized).
In addition, Supporter of Architectural Award 2014 - Dio company (The company's direktor –Tamaz Daushvili) awarded to the 2 winners of the Nomination – Public interior (realized).
Supporter of Architectural Award 2014 - Kakhetian Traditional Winemaking (The company's Marketing manager – Naniko Ratianidze) has established a special prize for the competition organizers .
The Georgian architects for support, has awarded:
- Mr. Zurab Gabinashvili, Founder of,, New Light,, Company
- Mr Boris Gamrekeli, director of Caparol company
- Mr. George Bakhsoliani, director of ,, Insta,, Company
At the conclusion of award-passing ceremony, Dimitri Mosulishvili, Founder of Association of Architects of Georgia, thanked competition organizers and supporters as well as the competition participants and jury members for their contribution to the event. In his speech, Dimitri Mosulishvili touched upon the importance of Architectural Award for Georgia, summarized the results of 2014 competition and announced launching of Architectural Award 2015.
Competition-winning projects and an account of award-passing ceremony are published at the competition website www.archiaward.com
Photos provided by: Gia Javelidze
The competition goes on. STYLE Magazine invites architects and designers to take part in Architectural Award 2014.