Association of Architects of Georgia and STYLE Magazine organized eighth International Architectural Festival and fourteenth International Architectural Competition
Project General Sponsor Company:
Project Sponsor Company:
Project supporter Companies:
Belle Maison, Dio,
Radio "Fortuna", Radio "Fortuna+"
Photo by: Tono Giorgobiani
8nd International Architectural Festival of Tbilisi is a project, aiming at promotion of best architectural projects and identification of architects and designers making special contribution to development of architecture.
The event organized under the umbrella of the 8nd International Architectural Festival:
December 15 2019
"Architectural Award 2019"
Award ceremony of architectural and design projects winning the 14th International Competition
- Architectural Award 2019 covered public and residential space, construction and interior design;
- The international competition was open for professionals working in the spheres of architecture and design;
- Those wishing to participate in the competition could submit the entries featuring realized constructions and designs as well as unimplemented projects and ideas.
- The international competition aimed at promotion of the best projects and identification of architects and designers contributing to development of architecture.
- Authors of nomination-winning projects were awarded "Architectural Award 2019".
- Nominations of the competition were identified by the jury (professional) and competition organizers.
Architectural Award 2019 covered the following nominations:
- Single-family house (realized projects)
- Apartment block or residential complex (realized projects)
- Residential interior (realized projects)
- Public construction (realized projects)
- Public interior (realized projects)
- Restoration / reconstruction (realized projects)
- Green architecture (realized projects)
- Student projects
- Architectural projects
- City planning projects
Competition winners received the following awards:
- Competition symbol – miniature sculpture
- Laureate diploma;
- Alternative jury prize;
- Prizes established by project supporters or sponsors..
The international competition was managed by the organizing committee consisting of competition founders and organizers and working on the basis of preliminarily defined conditions.
This year, the organizing committee included both project organizers and laureates of Architectural Awards.
Competition entries were submitted by Georgian as well as foreign architects and designers. A total of 167 participants were registered in Architectural Award 2019. The number of competition entries reached 188.
Architectural Award 2019 was awarded to architects and designers for the best projects in the spheres of urban planning, architecture and interior design.
Composition of the jury was approved by one of the organizers of Architectural Award 2019 – Association of Architects of Georgia - organizing committee.
Based on evaluation of competition entries, the jury of Architectural Award 2019 identified the best projects realized during the recent years (the entries were publicly accessible via the dedicated website). In each nomination, the judges anonymously singled out three or four best projects from among which the laureates were selected. Only after the selection process was finished, authors of competition entries became known.
Activities of the jury helped measure the level of modern architectural development and single out new trends.
Competition award ceremony took place in The Hotel Sheraton Grand Tbilisi Metechi Palace at 17:00 on December 15 2019.
Before the launch of award ceremony itself, the attending public – competition participants, jury members, representatives of construction and architectural companies and journalists – had an opportunity to take a look at the exposition of best competition works of Georgian and foreign architects.
Award-passing ceremony, animated by actor Nino Arazashvili started at about 5 p.m. with the opening speech of Nino Laghidze and Dimitri Mosulishvili - Organizers of Festival.
Under the decision of the Association of Architects of Georgia, A special prize was awarded to the Tbilisi Development Fund and its head Alexander Togonidze for the rehabilitation-reconstruction of Orbeliani Square, due to the architectural importance of the object. Also, "Association of Architects of Georgia awarded a special diploma by Nikortsminda Cathedral rehabilitation authors: Project director - Nana Kuprashvili; Conservation Group Manager: Alexandre Rubashvili; Chief Conservation Artist: Nino Torgvaidze and Center for conservation of Art Objects" LLC
By the Festival Organizers and Founders was invited to the stage during the awards:
- Mrs. – Nargiza Bujiashvili - Honored architect of Georgia, Laureate of many architectural competitions, holder of the Prize of the Council of Ministers of Georgia
- Mr. Vaja Orbeladze - Honored architect of Georgia, Honorable Citizen of Tbilisi, Laureate of Presidential Order of Excellence, Order of St. George, Order of Honor, Shota Rustaveli Prize.
Based on the decision of Association of Architects of Georgia, these persons were awarded prizes for special contribution to Georgian architecture. The prizes were passed to them by organizers of Festival.
Following this, nomination winners and laureates of Architectural Award 2020 were announced.
- Belle Maison
- Union of Architects of Azerbaijan
At the conclusion of award-passing ceremony, Founders of Association of Architects of Georgia, thanked competition organizers and supporters as well as the competition participants and jury members for their contribution to the event. In his speech, organizers touched upon the importance of Architectural Award for Georgia, summarized the results of 2019 competition and announced launching of Architectural Award 2020.
Competition-winning projects and an account of award-passing ceremony are published at the competition website www.archiaward.com
Photos provided by: Tono Giorgobiani
The competition goes on. STYLE Magazine and Association of Architects of Georgia invites architects and designers to take part in Architectural Award 2020.
Address: 3 Berbuki street, 0171, Tbilisi, Georgia