The international competition, supported by Tbilisi City Hall, is organized by STYLE Magazine and the Architects’ Club
General sponsors of the competition:
Development Company “White Development Group” and Simon Company
New Light, BasisBank, Union of Architects of Georgia, Zarapxana, I Studio, Media Art faculty of Tbilisi State Academy of Arts, Georgian Representation of “Herbovital 2”, Modern Graphic
Newspapers “24 Hours” and “Prime Time”
Photo Life Studio, E-Info
Architectural Award 2010 trophy was made by Zarapxana and sculptor David Kipshidze.
Award-winning nominees received additional prizes from the following companies:
- Duruji Mineral
- Georgian Representation of Herbovital 2
For the second time already, Georgian Representation of “Herbovital 2” invited 6 nomination winners to attend a 1-week workshop in Italy.
To provide additional incentive to architects, promote their work and increase popularity of construction and architecture with Georgian public, STYLE Magazine initiated a project, aiming at identification of best architectural and design works. The project – competition Architectural Award – was launched in 2006, and evoked considerable interest on the part of construction and architectural companies, individual architects and designers, as well as general public, due to which the competition soon went international.
In 2007, international competition Architectural Award 2007 was organized by STYLE Magazine and Caparol Georgia.
In 2008, STYLE Magazine and Construction Company “Planet”, with the support of Tbilisi City Hall and Sakrebulo, organized international competition Architectural Award 2008, the closing ceremony of which was held on October 26, during Tbilisoba Festival.
In 2009, STYLE Magazine, the Architects’ Club and Tbilisi City Hall organized international competition Architectural Award 2009.
Nowadays, considering the present-day political and economic situation of Georgia, we believe that this project is even more important, especially because it enjoys considerable interest on the part of professionals both in Georgia and abroad. Consequently, the project goes on:
This year, STYLE Magazine and the Architects’ Club organized still another round of their international competition – Architectural Award 2010.
- International competition “Architectural Award” covers architecture and interior design of residential and public spaces and constructions;
- International competition is organized for professionals, working in the sphere of architecture and design;
- International competition is open for realized and non-realized projects and ideas;
- International competition aims at identification of best projects and architects / designers, who contribute to development of architecture;
- International competition nomination winners are awarded with Architectural Award 2010;
- Nominations of the international competition have been preliminarily defined by competition organizers.
This year, the competition featured 310 projects in the following nominations:
- Single-family house (realized)
- Single-family house (projects)
- Public construction (realized)
- Public construction (projects)
- Block of apartments or residential complex (realized)
- Block of apartments or residential complex (projects)
- Residential interior (realized)
- Residential interior (projects)
- Public interior (realized)
- Public interior (projects)
- Restoration-reconstruction (realized)
- Restoration-reconstruction (projects)
- Urban development projects (realized)
- Urban development projects (non-realized)
- Landscape architecture (realized)
- Landscape architecture (projects)
- Student projects
- Out-of-competition entries
There were 248 participating architects and designers from Georgia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Denmark, France and UK.
Nomination winners were entitled to the following prizes:
- Architectural Award trophy – miniature sculpture
- Laureate Diploma
- Public jury award
- Prize established by project supporters and / or sponsors.
The international competition was run by an organizing committee, consisting of competition founders and organizers and working in accordance with preliminarily developed regulations.
This time, the organizing committee comprised both project organizers and previous winners of Architectural Award.
International competition jury consisted of:
- international professional panel of judges (jury), and
- public (alternative) panel of judges (jury)
While summarizing competition results, the judges also considered public votes on competition entries, posted at the website. Public votes identified award-winning projects in three nominations:
- Best construction
- Best interior
- Best architectural project
To identify the best projects, carried out in the recent years, professional jury of Architectural Award 2010 evaluated competition entries, posted at a special publicly accessible website. Evaluation process was online (jury members evaluated the entries using a 10-grade system and the results were automatically summarized online to identify winners).
The names of winning nominees were announced at the festive award ceremony, which was held on October 24 2010 in Radisson Blu Iveria Hotel.
The public invited to the award ceremony – Tbilisi City Hall and Sakrebulo representatives, competition participants, mass media representatives – could see an exposition of nomination winning projects by Georgian and foreign architects.
The award ceremony started at 5 p.m. and was animated by actors Tsisia Metreveli and Levan Khurtsia, with musical accompaniment by symphony orchestra of Tbilisi City Hall.
During the award ceremony Nino Laghidze, editor-in-chief of STYLE Magazine, made a brief report on the activities and new projects of STYLE Magazine and the Architects’ Club, and thanked competition supporters, participants and jury members.
Nomination winners were awarded by chairman of Tbilisi Sakrebulo Zaal Samadashvili, head of Monument Protection Agency Nikoloz Vacheishvili, Gamgebeli of Old Tbilisi David Avaliani, chief architect of Tbilisi Development Foundation Manuchar Makhatadze, chairman of the Union of Architects of Georgia David Abuladze, Nino Machavariani – PR manager of White Development Group and Saimon Company, general sponsors of Architectural Award 2010, dean of Architecture Institute of Tbilisi Technical University Gocha Mikiashvili, dean of the architectural faculty of Tbilisi State Academy of Arts Nodar Amashukeli, as well as previous years’ laureates.
In the end of the ceremony, the public was addressed by founder of STYLE Magazine and the Architects’ Club Dimitri Mosulishvili, who summarized importance of the international competition in present-day Georgian reality and announced launching of Architectural Award 2011.
A catalogue of award-winning projects will be published in STYLE Magazine;
Award winning projects were exhibited at the award ceremony and featured by mass media.
In the future, international competition Architectural Award will continue to be organized on an annual basis.